WHY INDIGO BLINDS
Window Cord Safety
The Safest Solution for Children and Pets
If you have children or pets in your home, you should always take proper safety measures to avoid serious window cord accidents. Safety is more important than style but we can provide you both. Keep your home secure with our window treatments which come with additional features to prevent any accidents.
- Our cordless lift and motorized lift options offer the ultimate level of safety. Eliminate the cords along with all of your worries.
- Tension pulleys and tie-down devices keep continuous-loop pull cords taut
- Cord stops on horizontal blinds that prevent internal cords from slipping through the louvers
Review the guidelines below for additional information on child-safe window treatments, or talk with one of our experts!
Window Cord Safety Guidelines
The Window Covering Safety Council urges parents and caregivers to check all windows for potential cord hazards and use the following guidelines to ensure your home is safe:
- Install only cordless window coverings in bedrooms and sleeping areas for young children
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture, and toys away from windows and cords, preferably to another wall
- Ensure tasseled pull cords are short and continuous-loop cords are permanently anchored to the floor or wall.
- Keep cords out of reach of young children by installing and using cord cleats
- Cord stops must be properly installed and adjusted to limit the movement of inner lift cords
- Lock cords into position whenever horizontal blinds or shades are lowered, including when they come to rest on a window sill
- Replace blinds, shades, and drapes manufactured before 2001 with products that meet updated safety standards
- If replacement is not possible, repair window blinds, corded shades, and draperies manufactured before 2001 with retrofit cord kits, available by emailing windowcoverings.org or calling 1-800-506-4636
Cordless control options have been certified as Best for Kids™ by an independent lab.